The router's administrator password is used to prevent unauthorized persons from accessing the web-based setup page of your router and changing any of the settings within. It is recommended to change the administrator password to avoid unwanted access.
By default, Linksys routers use "admin" as the default administrative password. All the computers and some wireless devices, including but not limited to phones and tablets, that are connected to the router has the capacity to access the web-based setup page.
There may be an occasion where you have changed or otherwise forgot/lost the router's administrator password. To reset it to the default administrator password, you will need to reset the router to factory default settings.
To edit the administrator password via the Linksys App:
- Open the Linksys App.
- Click the hamburger menu in the upper left corner of the Linksys App.
- Click on Network Administration.
- Click on Change Router Password and Hint.
- When you are finished making adjustments, click Save.
To edit the administrator password via the web-based setup:
- Access the router's web-based set up page, 192.168.1.1.
- A prompt should appear, asking for your username and password. Enter your login credentials to access the router's web login.
- Click the Administration tab. Enter the new password in the Router Password and Re-enter to confirm fields.
- Click Save Settings and click the Continue button on the next page.